Qualifying Training and Expenses

The grants given by TRVFA are intended to help someone earn training and/or certification in a vocational or technical field that will lead to employment immediately after graduation/completion.  We cannot fund study at either a four-year school or a community college if the latter is done for credit toward a four-year degree. We also cannot fund study that does not apply directly to job/vocational skills. The operative term here is “vocational,” not “professional.” We generally do not fund someone who already has a college degree.

Grant money can be awarded even if the applicant is receiving other financial aid as long as his or her training expenses are not fully covered by the other funds. The applicant can use a TRFVA grant for tuition, books, fees, tools, uniforms, or other items required to get his or her certification. Funds cannot be used to pay for transportation costs, rent, utilities, food or other miscellaneous living expenses while attending the vocational training.

The amount of the grant cannot exceed the actual costs of the vocational training. For example, if the total cost of tuition, books, fees and other eligible expenses is $1,500, an applicant could apply for that amount. If the costs exceed $3,000, the grant will be limited to $3,000. If the exact amount of the costs is not known, and the applicant receives a grant for more than the actual expenses, he or she is required to return the unused portion to TRVFA. If the amount of the grant exceeds the applicant’s covered expenses for one year, the excess may be used for the next year’s eligible expenses, or to pay off loans taken to cover eligible expenses. Under no circumstance is the excess to be paid to the applicant.

Any grant money will be paid directly to the school or learning institution. We cannot make the grant check payable to the recipient directly. Most schools have programs that will receive funds and make them available to the school’s bookstore or other sources of training materials. The school will be advised that any excess money must be returned to TRVFA.